Before you order takeout, use this incredible orange chicken recipe to satisfy your craving. Sweet satsumas bring a southern twist to this classic Chinese dish that the whole family will love!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Garnish: sesame seeds, green onions
Make it gluten-free: Substitute gluten-free flour and gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg, and water, whisking until smooth.
- Add the chicken cubes to the egg mixture in small batches and coat thoroughly. Then, dredge in the seasoned flour.
- In a medium saucepan or deep fryer, add 2 inches of oil and heat to 350˚F (177˚C). Line a plate with paper towels and set it aside.
- Add the marinated chicken cubes in batches of about 10-15 pieces, shaking off excess batter if needed. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes until golden, turning halfway through with a slotted spoon for even browning.
- Remove to the plate and keep warm while you make the sauce.
- To a medium saucepan, add orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a low boil. Carefully taste a few drops and adjust sugar, soy sauce and vinegar to suit your preference.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a cup to make a slurry and pour into the sauce. Stir constantly until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. (This can take as little as 30 seconds or as long as several minutes.)
- Add the fried chicken and toss until the sauce coats it thoroughly.
- Garnish with optional sesame seeds and green onions. Serve immediately.